UNAIDS is working with partners to clarify linkages and effective programmes on violence and HIV in emergency affected populations. A number of activities, funded by Department for International Development (UK), were carried out, including:
- A review, in collaboration with WHO, of epidemiological evidence of the links between HIV and gender-based violence in emergency settings
- Participation in UN Action against Sexual Violence in Conflict, a global initiative on gender-based violence in emergency settings
- Support to regional task forces on gender-based violence in emergency settings
- Collaboration with WHO in building capacity in the clinical management of sexual violence in emergencies
- Collaboration with FAO on building the capacities for addressing underlying causes of transactional sex.